Flat, open, 9-hole public course on the coast just to the north of Newport. Although it is on the coast, it does not have a view of the ocean. Greens are in good shape, the fairways are a bit spotty, and the course has a nice collection of Shore Pines to work your way around. It is a pretty open course with the trees, fairway undulations, and smallish greens being the main issues. The course has nice practice facilities and a friendly staff. The course is an easy walk.
Originally built in 1931. The Martin Family bought the course in 1960, and Billy Martin remodeled the course (including a new 8th hole). The Martin Family still owns and operates the course.
Why It Is There
Early in the 20th century, Newport really wanted a golf course. A 7-hole course was built on the north side of Yaquina Head in 1924 (reports were that it was windy and hilly, but had great views). The clubhouse for that course burned down in 1927 and the course closed. The City then supported construction of a new course in the present location.
The 7th hole is a short par 4, dogleg right with thick trees and undergrowth all the way down the right. There is a valley in front of the green that is further away on the left than right. The right has trees blocking the green. Favor the left side on the tee shot, but don’t hit it too far or you might roll into another set of thick trees. May be best to lay-up on the left before the valley to have a good look at the green.
Did You Know
The Oregon Golf Course Superintendents Association has a scholarship named after Bill Martin (former owner and father of the present owner/pro) for a student of turfgrass studies based on financial need and academic achievement.
Good For Them
Home course of Newport High School. The course also holds junior golf camps.
The holes are pretty open and you can score well even if you have a strong slice or hook (a medium fade or draw could get you into trouble). It also has good facilities and is reasonably priced.
- Type: 9-hole public course
- Price: $
- Phone/webpage: (541)265-7331/www.agatebeachgolf.net
- Address: 4100 N. Coast Highway, Newport, Oregon 97365
- Owner: Agate Beach Golf Course, Inc.
- Designer: Frank Stenzel Sr.; Billy Martin (remodel)
- Pros: Terry Martin (PGA)
- Practice Facilities: Driving range off grass; pitching area; sand area; putting green
- Pro Shop: Good sized with clothing and equipment
- Food: Full service restaurant open for breakfast and lunch during the summer season
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse and on course
- Yardage Markers: 150 rhododendrons; 250, 200, 150, and 100 markers in-ground on fairway; no pin-placement information
- Clothing: Be dressed
- Walkable: Very
- Spikes: Metal OK
- Shoe Cleaning: Brush and air hose
- Rentals: Power carts, pull carts, and clubs
- Seasonality: Open year-round, but the 8th hole is closed and a short par 3 in the pitching area replaces it
Submit your review