Alderbrook Golf Course is an 18-hole public course just north of Tillamook on the coast. Alderbrook Golf Course rests near dairy farms at the foot of the Coast Range and has many old-growth trees. One 9 is generally short, but with mature trees and narrow holes. The other 9 is more open, but with some tricky holes (including one that goes straight up). Traps, water, and elevation changes (some severe) make for an interesting round. Course conditions have greatly improved recently, and the course is in generally good shape. Greens are almost all elevated and in good condition. There are several holes with steep hills. It is walkable, but you might sweat a bit.
The first 9 was built in 1924 and the second 9 in 1966. The course was materially remodeled in 2011.
Why It Is There
The owner of the dairy farm, Lee Smith, wanted to build a course.
The 8th hole is a seemingly harmless par 3. But much is going on that you cannot see from the tee: there are traps on either side of the green, and the green has a deep valley running through the middle — check your pin placement and take the right club to get it there.
Did You Know
When it opened as a 9-hole course, the remainder of the property was still a dairy farm. But the barn was on the opposite side of the course from the pasture. Each morning, play would stop so the cows could cross the course going from the barn to the pasture.
Good For Them
Rain is collected in the ponds and then used for irrigation. No chemicals are used near the wetlands or ponds. Home course for Tillamook High School. Annually hosts the Gary Anderson Benefit Golf Tournament to benefit hearing impaired children in Tillamook County.
Although some of the holes are a bit different, it is a beautiful course that is much improved and is worth the price.
- Type: 18-hole public course
- Price: $$
- Phone/webpage: (503)842-6413/www.alderbrookgolfcourse.com
- Address: 7300 Alderbrook Road, Tillamook, Oregon 97141
- Owner: Laviolette Holdings, LLC
- Designer: Lee Smith (original 9), Marvin Prangborn (second 9)
- Pros: None
- Practice Facilities: Driving range on mats with cover, pitching and sand areas, and practice green
- Pro Shop: Some equipment and clothing
- Food: Full-service bar with food and a patio next to the pro shop (call for times)
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse and porta potties on course
- Yardage Markers: 200, 150, and 100 poles; pins color-coded for position
- Clothing: Be dressed
- Walkable: Hilly, you will sweat
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe Cleaning: Air hose and brushes
- Rentals: All
- Generally open all year
Submit your review