An historic public 9-hole (18 using dual tee system) course in the town of Enterprise, with very distracting views of the Wallowa Mountains. The course is very open, but has enough trees and water to make it a challenge. The course is well maintained, and the greens are small and undulating (one I would call very challenging). It is a flat course and very easy to walk.
There is confusion as to when the course was built. The course website states that in 1917 the owners built 4 holes. GolfNow states that the course was built in 1926. Jeff Shelley in his book “Golf Courses of the Pacific Northwest” states that the course was built in 1933. In any event, the City of Enterprise purchased the 9-hole course in 1943. In 1966, the City leased the land to the Wallowa Valley Golf Association, which, using a Boise Cascade grading crew in its spare time, redesigned the course and installed grass greens (they had been sand up to that time). Additional water features have recently been added.
Ian MacDonald and R.J. Campbell wanted a course in the area. It is now a favorite spot for a wide area of locals.
I Wish I Would Have Known Before I Played
Hole 7 has a creek just in front and to the right of the green. The green is severely multi-tiered and you have to get the ball on the right tier in order to two putt.
Did You Know
After the City of Enterprise bought the course, it used the course for golf, landing airplanes, and playing football.
Good For Them
The course uses reclaimed water from the City (to avoid using water from the creek that runs through the course that serves as the upper area of a salmon run). The course is home course for the Wallowa/Joseph combined High School golf teams and the Enterprise High School golf team.
Many Central Oregon courses have stunning views of the mountains, but this course is in the middle of the mountains (or at least feels like it is).
- Type: 9-hole public course
- Price: $$
- Phone/webpage: (541) 426-3246/www.golfalpinemeadows.com
- Address: 66089 Golf Course Road, Enterprise, Oregon 97828
- Owner: City of Enterprise (leased by Wallowa Valley Golf Association)
- Designer: “Founding Members” with a remodel by a Boise Cascade crew
- Pros: None
- Practice Facilities: Grass driving range, chipping area, and practice green
- Pro Shop: Minimal; with some clothes, balls, and equipment
- Food: There is a café with sandwiches (including burgers), soda, and beer; a patio looks out to the 9th green
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse and porta potties on the course
- Yardage Markers: 200, 150, and 100 pipes on side of fairways; 200, 150, and 100 in-ground markers with distances to front and back of greens (but some may be off a bit); pins color-coded for position
- Clothing: Be dressed
- Walkable: Very
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe cleaning: Brush
- Rentals: All
- Closed in winter
Submit your review