Just south of the town of Bandon, slightly inland (so a bit less wind) at the foot of the Coast Range, this is a beautiful 18-hole public course that has very well maintained fairways and greens. There are tall old coast pines and thick Madrones, waves of tall rye rough, many fairway and greenside traps (and some blow out areas), undulating fairways, and a large marsh that divides the course and comes into play on a few holes. Greens are tricky, but true. If you hold Bandon Dunes as the ideal for look and maintenance, this is pretty darn close (without the ocean views). It is hilly and there is a good distance between some holes, so a cart is advised. Forward tees do provide a benefit of both distance and angle.
Opened in 2007 on a former sheep and cattle ranch. When it opened, Golf Magazine rated it as a top ten new course. GolfWeek regularly has it as on of the best places to play in Oregon.
Rex and Cala Smith of Eugene had a vacation house near the town of Bandon. They wanted an affordable 18-hole golf course in the area, so they built and opened one, and they are still owners.
I Wish I Would Have Known Before I Played
There are several blind shots and the greens are in great shape, but a challenge. A yardage book will help, but you should either find a local to play with or give yourself time to play the course several times to figure it out.
Did You Know
This is the first 18-hole course that noted golf architect Dan Hixson designed.
They hold junior golf clinics, have a 2-hour package for junior instruction and play for $25, and juniors get free club rental. They have “Tee It Forward” golf tees for juniors. They use collection pond water for irrigation, and have environmental buffers around the water hazards. They also annually hold a tournament to benefit the local hospital.
Why Play This Course
Scenic and extremely well maintained. It is a “delightful challenge,” where you are still happy about being there after posting an “other.” It has a very good price point for this quality of course.
- Type: 18 hole public course
- Price: $$$
- Phone/webpage: (541)347-3232/www.bandoncrossings.com
- Address: 87530 Dew Valley Lane, Bandon, Oregon 97411
- Owner: Bandon Crossings, LLC
- Designer: Dan Hixson
- Pros: Jake Wakeman (PGA)
- Practice Facilities: Driving range on grass, practice chipping and sand areas, practice green
- Pro Shop: Mostly clothing and some equipment
- Food: Sandwiches, hamburgers, sodas, beer and wine in the new clubhouse; there is a sandwich hut with drinks on the course
(you pass by twice)
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse and on course
- Yardage Markers: 150 poles; yardage on sprinklers; flags alternate front/middle/back (so you need to
- Clothing: Proper golf attire requested
- Walkable: Hilly, wioth long walks between some holes; golf cart sugested
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe Cleaning: Brushes and air hose
- Rentals: Clubs (several grades), carts and pull carts
- Open all year
Submit your review