[Portions of this post are repeated in the other courses making up the Bandon complex: Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, Old Macdonald, and Shorty’s]
More than your average 13-hole par 3. Within the Bandon complex, just south of the main lodge on the way to the Pacific Dunes pro shop, this course has beautiful holes that embrace the natural features of a hillside overlooking the ocean. No hole is over 150 yards (although with wind and elevation change, a hole could play much longer) and you may be tempted to putt off the tee (good practice for the other Bandon courses). The course goes down the hillside and then comes up, but it is short, so a good walk.
Built in 2012. In 2018 Links named the course the best par-3 course in the United States.
Why It Is There
As part of the world class golf facility, Mike Keiser wanted to build a unique par-3 experience.
I Wish I Would Have Known Before I Played
The rules of general decorum are relaxed here (but the starter is skilled at giving each groups space). In the a.m., families with kids (often sevensomes) play. In the p.m., you will often find imbibed sevensomes hitting balls all over the place, falling down into traps or greens and generally having a roaring time. Not saying this is bad behavior; just be ready for it (and maybe join in).
This is one of the few locations for the phacelia argentea, aka the Silvery Phacelia. It is a rare flower, endemic to coastal sand dunes. In 1995, only 33 sites for this plant were known.
Good For Them
Net proceeds benefit the Wild Rivers Coast Alliance, and they are taking steps to improve the range of the Silvery Phacelia.
Why Play This Course
It is a truly unique course, with stunning views. Although expensive (for a 13-hole par 3), it is a great place to play with the whole family, or to add some practice and a great golf experience after playing one of the Bandon 18-hole courses.
- Type: 13-hole public par-3 course
- Price: $$$
- Phone/webpage: (541)347-4380/www.bandondunesgolf.com
- Address: 57744 Round Lake Road, Bandon, Oregon 97471
- Owner: Bandon Dunes, LP
- Designer: Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw
- Pros: None (just go to neighboring Bandon Trails if you need one)
- Practice Facilities: There is a putting green off the first tee shared with Bandon Trails, but the complex has a very impressive practice facility: two driving ranges, sand and chipping area, and large putting green
- Pro Shop: None (go to neighboring Bandon Trails which has a good-sized shop with some equipment and lots of clothing (and rain gear))
- Food: Full-service restaurant at Bandon Trails
- Bathrooms: Improved on course
- Yardage Markers: All over in ground; pin placement on a rotating zone system
- Clothing: Proper golf attire
- Walkable: A little hilly, but walkable
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe Cleaning: Brushes
- Rentals: Clubs and pull carts; motorized carts are discouraged but can be arranged
- Open year-round
Submit your review