A very attractive and very well-maintained 18-hole public course in Medford. This wide-open links-type course is one of the best in the Medford area. Although nearly tree less, the manner that the course meanders around the long fescue combined with several water features and many bunkers make the course challenging and picturesque. Forward tees provide improved distance and angles. The course is a bit hilly and there are some walks between holes, but as long as it is not too warm, it is walkable.
Opened in 2006, it has since been voted one of the top 50 courses in the US (2009, by readers of Golf World Magazine), and several times as Best Golf Course in Southern Oregon by Medford’s Mail Tribune’s readers’ poll.
Why It Is There
A joint development of Pacific Retirement Services, Inc., and Rogue Valley Manor, the property was originally slated to be a development project. When the recession occurred in the 1990s, the owners decided to build the course. It now provides a park like surrounding for the Rogue Valley Manor residents, as well as being a popular course for local residents.
I Wish I Would Have Known Before I Played
Hole 17 is a shortish par 3, with the green going away from the fairway (so unless you have a lot of spin, play the tee shot to run).
Did You Know
The course is located in a century-old pear orchard. Some of the trees still exist along the 2nd hole.
Good For Them
The course hosts two PGA Junior League teams and is the home course of both Phoenix High School and Cascade Christen High School. The course also hosts multiple charity tournaments including the Southern Oregon Military Tournament to benefit the local VA, the PRS Giving Through Golf Tournament to provide funding for education and housing, and the (very large) Southern Oregon Classic, which annually picks local charities to benefit.
Why Play This Course
One of the best in Southern Oregon, and well worth the price.
- Type: 18-hole public course
- Price: $$
- Phone/webpage: (541) 773-4653/www.centennialgolfclub.com
- Address: 1900 N. Phoenix Road, Medford, Oregon 97504
- Owner: The Centennial, Inc.
- Designer: John Fought
- Pros: Brian Sackett (PGA), Chris Daggitt
- Practice Facilities: Driving range (grass and mats) and two practice greens (members have a private driving and short game, including sand, practice area)
- Pro Shop: Good-sized, with clothing and equipment
- Food: Good full-service restaurant and lounge
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse and porta potties on course
- Yardage Markers: 150 posts; 200, 150, and 100 markers on cart paths; yardage on sprinkler heads, pins color-coded for location
- Clothing: Collared shirts
- Walkable: A little hilly and some walks between holes, but fine overall if it’s not too hot
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe Cleaning: Air hose and brushes
- Rentals: All
- Open all year
Submit your review