A 27-hole semi-private (member clubs have reserved tee times) executive golf complex about 19 miles south of downtown Portland near I-5. The three parklike courses are fairly similar. All meander through the Charbonneau housing development (houses line all the holes). But a wide variety of mature trees frame the holes (and protect the houses), with some trees impinging on some holes and forming the primary defense. All courses have four short par-4s and five long par-3s with at least one par-3 over water. There are many traps (mostly around the greens). It is flat and a very nice walk.
The first 18 holes opened in 1972 and the third 9 opened in 1979. The property was originally owned by George Law Curry, Oregon’s territorial governor 1854 – 59. Willamette Factors, Inc., bought the land and built the courses. The courses have since been purchased by the Homeowners Association. The club was named 2017 OGA Club of the Year for its work in growing the game.
Why It Is There
Built as part of the Charbonneau Housing Development.
I Wish I Would Have Known Before I Played
To score well here, it’s all about the short game.
Given the number of houses that line the fairways, it is surprising that more windows are not broken (or more protective nets erected). The first window was broken by the courses’ original superintendent, Bill Nuessle.
Good For Them
It’s all about community. They hold multiple junior camps and clinics. Oregon State University agronomists are in change of maintenance. The pond in front of the 9th green on the Green 9 provides water to neighboring houses as well as the course. They hold multiple charity tournaments, including for the American Cancer Society. And the men’s and women’s clubs provide scholarships to college-age staff.
Why Play This Course
Fast, flat, short, and affordable. A nice place to play with a group with diverse skill levels.
- Type: Three 9-hole semi-private executive courses
- Price: $$
- Phone/webpage: (503)694-1246/www.charbonneaugolfclub.com
- Address: 32020 SW Charbonneau Drive, Wilsonville, Oregon 97070
- Owner: Charbonneau Golf Club, Inc.
- Designer: Ted Robinson Sr.
- Pros: Chris A. Bensel (PGA)
- Practice Facilities: The former facilities are being converted and in the spring of 2018 the following new facilities should be open — eight covered, lighted, and heated net driving areas (possibly with Trackman technology), together with a new practice sand and pitching area; there is a practice green
- Pro Shop: Good mix of clothing and equipment
- Food: The Turn, which is in the pro shop, is a full-service restaurant open during golf course hours; there is an adjacent restaurant as well
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse and on course
- Yardage Markers: There are inconsistent sources of yardage information between holes – some 150 and 100 in-ground markers; small pine trees mark 150 on most holes; some sprinklers have yardage; lower flags on
pins mark position
- Clothing: T-shirts and non-holed jeans are OK
- Walkable: Flat, easy walk
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe Cleaning: Brushes and air hose
- Rentals: All
- Open all year
Submit your review