Chehalem Glenn Golf Club is an attractive and well-maintained public 18-hole course just east of Newberg. Chehalem Glenn Golf Club has an interesting variety of holes with trees, hills (and valleys), and water. Revisions to holes 9, 12, and 17 have taken the edge off the course and made it a faster play. Forward tees help with distances and angles. Walkable, but a good workout.
Opened in 2005, with a redesign of holes 9, 12, and 17 occurring in 2014.
In 1995, a local developer donated to the Chehalem Park and Recreation District the land that would become the front 9. The District then purchased the land that would become the back 9.
I Wish I Would Have Known Before I Played
Hole 6 has a very small landing area, where hidden traps are on the left of the fairway and there is a drop off to the right on the right side of the fairway. Laying up to the 150 pole is not a bad option. Same thought for the 11th hole, a seemingly short par 4, that is very narrow with trouble all around. Even though it is a steep uphill from the environmentally sensitive area you have the clear on your drive, driving to just beyond the 150 pole may be the way to go.
Did You Know
When it opened, the course had the highest course rating (154) in the state.
The course uses reclaimed water for irrigation. In the environmentally sensitive zones there is a lot of hand weeding and when pesticides are used, there is monitoring of its effect on non-targeted plants. The course hosts junior camps, participates in PGA Junior League, and has reduced rates for students (with free club rental), The course is the home course for Newberg, Sherwood, and CS Lewis High Schools, as well as George Fox College (and its very good women’s team). In addition, the course works with local high school horticultural classes on maintenance and improvements.
Why Play This Course
Good course, especially for the price, with a great practice area. The friendly attitude of the staff, the great practice facilities, and environmental efforts are pluses.
- Type: 18-hole public course
- Price: $$ ($ for district residents)
- Phone/webpage: (503)538-5800/www.chehalemglenn.com
- Address: 4501 E. Fernwood Road, Newberg, Oregon 97132
- Owner: Chehalem Park and Recreation District
- Designer: William G. Robinson
- Pros: Kellan Sasken (PGA), Zach Mode
- Practice Facilities: Driving range, chipping area, sand practice area, and two practice greens; there is also a nine-hole putting course (for an extra charge)
- Pro Shop: Moderate, with some clothing and equipment
- Food: Snack bar with hot dogs, some sandwiches, and beer
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse, porta potties on the course
- Yardage Markers: 150 posts; 250, 200, 150, and 100 in ground; yardage on most sprinkler heads; pins set in a zone system for location
- Clothing: T-shirts and jeans are OK
- Walkable: Hilly, particularly through 15; so walkable, but a bit of a workout
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe Cleaning: Hose and brushes
- Rentals: All
- Open all year
Submit your review
what a great course, especially for the price. I should play there more.
Great layout. Challenging holes. Club employees are very helpful. Overall condition is very good. Could use some improvement in the condition of the sandtraps and some of the tee boxes