China Creek Golf Course is a 9-hole (18 with dual tees) public municipal course located in the town of Arlington just off of I-84 to the east of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area (you can see the mighty Columbia River from parts of the course). Built on the side of a valley wall, China Creek Golf Course has holes that are interesting and varied. It is a very open and very well-maintained course (greens run very well). There are few trees, and water on only one hole, but there are several traps and, although on the short side, the elevation changes provide a challenge. Frequent strong winds from the Gorge can substantially alter the character of the course. Because it is so hilly and there are distances between the holes, a cart is recommended.
Opened in 2003.
Why It Is There
The City of Arlington wanted a course. It now has a following from a wide geographic area.
Because it is built on a hillside, most shots that go into the hill will bounce back. On the 6th hole, an uphill par 5 (when the wind is blowing it takes a strong effort to reach in regulation), there is a trap about 10 yards front left of the green you cannot see until you are near it. On the 8th hole, a par 4 that goes up then down, drives to the left may find a hill that will slow the progress of the drive.
Did You Know
In a recent Mormon Cricket infestation, all the employees (and some members) went out with Dawn dishwashing detergent to ecologically remove the bugs.
Good For Them
Water from operations is recycled and stored in the pond on the first hole to be reused for irrigation. The course annually hosts a golf tournament to benefit the Arlington Child Care Center, and the Woolery Open Golf Tournament to benefit completion of The Woolery (an events center in town).
Why Play This Course
The fair price and great conditions are the main attractor, but the configuration of the holes are very interesting, and it is in a scenic area — in between the desert plateau and the Columbia River Gorge. The friendliness of the staff is a bonus.
- Type: 9-hole public course
- Price: $$
- Phone/webpage: (541) 454-2000/no website
- Address: 1700 Railroad Ave., Arlington, Oregon 97812
- Owner: City of Arlington
- Designer: John Steidel
- Pros: Taylor Grubaugh
- Practice Facilities: Putting green and chipping area
- Pro Shop: Minimal clothing and equipment, but it feels more like a living room than a pro shop — a nice place to sit and chat
- Food: Snacks, soda, and beer
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse, porta pottie on course
- Yardage Markers: 150 and 100 i- ground markers; yardage on most sprinklers (but difficult to read); no pin-placement information
- Clothing: T-shirts and non-holed jeans are OK
- Walkable: Steep hills and distances between holes, a good workout of a walk; cart recommended
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe Cleaning: Brush
- Rentals: Clubs and power carts, no pull carts
- All seasons
Submit your review