This short, hilly 18-hole public course rests on the north side of Lincoln City on the Oregon Coast (but no ocean views). In addition to the fairway undulations, the course has a number of trees and ponds and creeks to make for some interesting holes. Although the fairways seem perpetually damp, the greens roll well. Course design feels a little forced to fit into the allotted space. But the staff is very nice and they have a great indoor driving range. If you walk the course, you will get a good workout.
The course was originally a 9-hole course built in 1926 by Reed Sanderson, Frank Frandsen, and BW Jones as part of a proposed resort. The designer of the course is unknown, with one publication stating that the original design was by “the members.” By 1987, the course had 13 holes. By 1988, it was expanded to 18 (the owner at the time was Carl Mason, who was probably the designer). The course has had many names, including Devil’s Lake, Lakeside, Roosevelt GC, and now Chinook Winds.
The course was part of a housing development for the north side of Devil’s Lake. It is now used by the local casino as an amenity for its guests and a benefit for the locals.
I Wish I Would Have Known Before I Played
There is a trap guarding the left side of the 12th green that you cannot see from the tee. I also wish I knew about the indoor driving range as well as the exercise club attached to the pro shop.
Did You Know
The building that houses the clubhouse/driving range/restaurant is a former aircraft hanger.
Good For Them
They have a buffer area around each water/marsh area where they do not apply chemicals. The adjacent gym co-hosts the Tsunami Run for the benefit of Family Promise for Lincoln County, to eliminate homelessness.
For a good price (and with a very friendly staff) its a nice course to leave the woods in the bag and see how well you can get around (although there may be a 4 par or two where you may want to try to reach in one).
- Type: 18-hole public course
- Price: $
- Phone/website: (541)994-8442/www.chinookwindscasino.com
- Address: 324 NE 50th Street, Lincoln City, Oregon 97367
- Owner: Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Indians of Oregon
- Designer: First 9 unknown; second 9 Carl Mason
- Pros: Cory Camilleri (PGA)
- Practice Facilities: Large indoor driving range and putting green. For an additional fee there is a good exercise club next to the pro shop
- Pro Shop: Good, with clothing and equipment
- Food: Aces Sports Bar and Grill is a full service restaurant open for lunch and dinner (and breakfast on the weekends) with a great view of the course
- Bathrooms: In clubhouse and porta potties on course (there is a bathroom with water between 3 and 4)
- Yardage Markers: 150 and 100 posts on the side, 150 and 100 in-ground markers, pins color-coded for location
- Clothing: Collared shirts
- Walkable: Hilly, a good workout walk
- Spikes: Soft
- Shoe Cleaning: Brushes and air hoses
- Rentals: All
- Open all year
Submit your review