Circle Bar Golf Club is a long, but generally open, 9-hole public course sitting in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, about 45 miles to the southeast of Eugene along Highway 58. Circle Bar Golf Club has pasture fairways and small but well-maintained greens. The course is surrounded by hills with tall fir trees, and has a very relaxed feel. A community supported course where almost everyone (including greenskeepers) is a volunteer. It is hilly, but walkable.
Built in 1954 on property owned by Edward Hines Lumber Company first for logging and then for lumber and plywood mills.
Why It Is There
The local community wanted a golf course, and Edward Hines Lumber Company was willing to lease (and eventually sell) the land. It is now a community gathering spot.
I Wish I Would Have Known Before I Played
The 6th hole is a par 4 with a drive up the hill (you have to look at a mirror parched high on a pole to make sure the fairway is clear). The fairway rolls left to right and water and trees come in on the right side. It is best to keep your drive to the left side of the fairway.
Did You Know
The Circle Bar Golf Club, which leases and operates the course, is a non-profit company whose members take care of the course (and, in return, play for a very low annual fee).
Good For Them
The runoff from the streets that surround the course drain into the ponds on the course. This water is then used to irrigate the course. The course uses little fertilizer and no pesticides. Teachers at the local school recruit golfers, and juniors play for $1 all day. Home course for Oakridge High School. The course hosts many local and charity events including the Tee Kup 18 Hole Scramble to benefit youth activities in the area and the Ellen Dimmick Memorial Golf Tournament providing scholarships to local high school students.
The area, in the Cascade foothills, is beautiful. And when you go to the area, you should play the course. It has enough to be interesting, does not cost much to play, has a relaxed feel, and you will have the chance to meet many of the locals (who are friendly and worth meeting).
- Type: 9-hole public course
- Price: $$
- Phone/webpage: (541)782-3541/no website
- Address: 48447 Westoak Road, Oakridge, Oregon 97463
- Owner: Circle Bar Golf Inc.
- Designer: Clarence Sutton
- Pros: None
- Practice Facilities: Shag bag driving area (off the 4th hole); chipping area; putting green
- Pro Shop: Minimal (closed November through February)
- Food: Snacks and drinks in the clubhouse; banquet facilities upstairs from the pro shop
- Bathrooms: Improved in clubhouse and porta potty on the course
- Yardage Markers: 150 posts or junipers on the side of the fairways; 200, 150, 100 markers in ground on fairway; no pin-placement information
- Clothing: Be dressed
- Walkable: Hilly, but OK to walk
- Spikes: Metal OK
- Shoe Cleaning: Brush and air hose
- Rentals: All (when clubhouse is open)
- Open year-round (but pro shop is closed in the winter — there is a box for green fees)
*Rating and Slope are provided by the course
Submit your review